Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Hot Hustle

Adam, Mais, and I headed out at 7:45 this morning in the 35 degree weather so that I could run in the Hotcake Hustle 10k in Addison. I felt warm and snugly in my winter running gear as I was lining up. At mile 2 I had already shed my gloves and ear warmers and was majorly rethinking my decision to wear 3 layers on top. I decided to tough it out since it was only a 6 mile race I didn't want to waste time losing a layer or two. Then at mile 3 I saw my parents cheering me on and realized I was at the 5k point a lot sooner than I thought I would be. The race was 5k and 10k combined so the 10k-ers had to run the entire course twice. I think I was thrown off my pace because the 5k runners were going so much faster. I ended up running a 9:05 pace the first 5k which is A LOT faster than I normally run. When I got in the car after the race, the temperature was 42. I was TOTALLY over dressed for low 40s but I guess it didn't deter me too much. I finished at 57:25 and placed 14th in my age group...the highest place finish I've had running since I placed 1st in my age group in the Plano Balloon Chase in 2000. Yes, it took me 12 years to crawl back into the top 15.

Of course there are pictures of my big finish but it seems someone (hheehheeemm) left the infared setting on the camera while they may or may not been taking pictures of christmas decorations so the best one looks like this:

Not sure if I'm even in that shot but it looks like a top 15 finish to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment