Sunday, January 22, 2012

40 degrees and 10 minutes

Too Hot to Handle, Too Cold to Hold. Yes, it's a saying but it's also two very popular 15k races in Dallas at White Rock Lake. The Too Hot to Handle is held in mid-July and is usually close to 95 at the beginning of the race and 100 degrees at the finish. Too Cold to Hold is in late January and could be freezing or 80. You never know....

But after competing in the "cold" version I now know:
1. 55 degrees (today's race starting temp) is about the best racing temperature there is especially when compared to 95 degrees.
2. 15 mph winds when running around a lake in 55 degrees feels like someone shoved ice in your sports bra
3. Water stops are optional and misters don't exist
4. If you drink too much water you have to whiz out your ear as urine doesn't evaporate in 55 degrees as it does in 95+
5. I run exactly 10 minutes faster in 55 degree weather than I do in 95, setting a PR on this course of 1:27.
Just after crossing the finish line:

Mais loves hydration systems as much as Mommy:

Looks like to me I should do a little more cold holding rather than hot handling but due to signing up for the runproject.org (7 races over 2012) I've already signed up for the Too Hot to Handle...and I'm already praying for low 90s...

No comments:

Post a Comment