Sunday, December 4, 2011

Missing the "Lake"

I left this morning at 5:45 am in the 38 degree pouring down rain to go run the Dallas White Rock half marathon. Given that Maison is sick again and I haven't done any athletic events since spraining my ankle, this really wasn't the best idea. I missed my last training run of 10 miles due to Mais being sick so on top of everything else, I wasn't sure I was prepared.

If I didn't have doubts on the drive down, I definitely had doubts after lining up at 7:30am in the pouring rain and not crossing the starting line until 8:13am. It literally poured the entire first 5 miles. It was raining so hard the water dripping off the bill of my hat was blurring my vision.

This race is referred to as "Run the Rock" in reference to the course which follows White Rock lake. I think today's race should been referred to as "Run the Lake" or "Running through White Rock Lake" because that is more what it felt like.

This is the first race I have ever done where I did not remove something that I was wearing. I was so wet and cold I kept every stitch on until the bitter end. I ended up finishing in 2:10 which was a PR for me. I guess the freezing rain moved me faster than the heat I normally compete in.

After wringing water out of my sports bra which was my 3rd layer down and seeing Andrea (friend I ran with) ask for pancakes post-race so that she could use them for warmth, I thought I should have listened to my gut and sat this one out....but then I remembered I was thinking about me and unless I'm physically injured I don't ever sit one out! Besides a little rain never hurt anyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment