Saturday, January 22, 2011

Run in with a rookie

I survived my gum surgery despite having a rookie assistant who was trying to do me in. She couldn't get the oxygen/relaxing gas set up right so every time she moved the tube or stepped on it, it would blast a big gust of air at one time.

Then after the Dr put the needle for the IV in my hand (thank goodness she didn't), she couldn't get the IV tube fastened to the insertion point. So she kept bumping the needle while it was in my hand. The result, other than the pain at the time, is a big bruise on my hand at the insertion point and pain up my arm.

If that wasn't nice enough, I have a huge blister on my lip from either the adhesive they used to hold the tubes in place or from the tubes rubbing my lip for 3 hours. That's just what I needed, a blister to go with the roof of my mouth and 2 sides of my mouth being bandaged.

Speaking of bandages, she covered one of my grafts incorrectly and when the real assistant came to check her work, she told her she had done it wrong and it would have to be redone. So with no painkiller she ripped it off (yes, right off of where it was just sewn back together!) and replaced it.

So was I surprised last night when a huge piece of the bandage from the roof of my mouth came off while I was eating ice cream and I swallowed it? Nope, not at all. Am I surprised after 18 hours of taking loratab the only part of my mouth that hurts is where she ripped off and replaced my bandage...not so much.

All I know is I will request that this NON-rookie of the year not be involved in my post-op!

Blister on the left side of my mouth:


Bruise on my hand:


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment