Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Run in with a Rookie, Take 2

I was getting ready to take Maison to the pediatrician and had a little surprise as I was going to get in the shower. One of packings (bandage over graft area) came off. Considering I just had my surgery 4 days ago and the packing was supposed to last two weeks, I knew I had to go in and get it put back on. The exposed graft area didn't feel so great, but I was doing pretty good with the pain when I got to the doctor's office.

And then...she was there. Rookie Amber from my surgery would be replacing my packing...aces. She put the packing on, pressed to secure it in it's spot, and basically exploded my newly attached gums into mass amounts of blood in mouth. She seriously squealed and said "Oh my god, you're bleeding". Um, you think? You just forced something on top of a open wound. Needless to say the packing had to be removed and replaced, again.

So she went to get the doctor. He basically told her she didn't know what she was doing and that the packing needed to go laterally but not all the way to the jawline and that it needed to cover both attachment points. Ok, I have NO MEDICAL training and I got what he meant. Rookie Amber had to ask another assistant to do it for her. The doctor came to check "Amber's" work and he threw a fit. It was not done correctly so he went to get the other assistant who then had to admit that she was the one that had done it wrong and had to redo it, again.

I'm sure you can imagine how awesome it feels to have the packing pulled off and redone THREE TIMES. Yeah, with no painkiller but the loratab I had taken about an hour before. It was just the highlight of my day...

No comments:

Post a Comment