Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Run Forrest, Run...Alabama Here I Come - PK Vacay Day 5

Monday morning I headed out for my hour run along the Perdido Key Blvd.  I was having such a good time that I missed my 30 min half way turn around and ended up running 10 min out of the way.  So today, I was going to do it...I was going to run all the way to Alabama and I was going to run it on the beach....hahaha!  Alabama is literally so close that if I threw a rock off our balcony it would land on the Bama state line.  I did really go run for an hour on the beach and I learned that I am WAY TOO old to do so.  

Running on the beach is super harder than it looks.  I thought the soft sand would feel good on my sore, plantar facisitis, ridden feet.  Nope, didn't feel so hot.  Not to mention that my knees hurt and my bursitis (yes, I have bursitis in my left hamstring and have since I was 25.  Nothing a little cortisone injection won't cure...I should know I've already had 1 of the 3 you are allowed in a lifetime.) decided to have a flare up.  I hit the 30 min turnaround wanting to have a taxi ride home.  I was literally out in the middle of now where.  I was at the part of the beach that there were no condos, no businesses, no people.  I contemplated walking back but if it took me 30 min to run there it would probably take me 45 min plus to walk back so I forged ahead.

I got back to our condo almost exactly an hour after leaving and this is what I had to say about the run:
- I hurt all over before I got back so you know tomorrow I'll feel awesome
- I got sunburned...how do you burn at 6:00 pm?
- I soaked my good running shoes because my slow, fat, ass couldn't move fast enough to get out of the way of the surf
- 2 bikers asked me if I knew of a hotel that rented by the night around here so either A).  They thought I lived on the Flora-bama state line and would know such info (ok...insulting) or B).  They thought I was involved in activities that happen at 'rent by the night' type places (uh...totally insulting).  I politely informed them I was here on vacation and didn't have such info.  

So at 35....ok, almost 36, I may not be too old to tango but I'm definitely too old to run on the beach.  

No comments:

Post a Comment