Monday, May 17, 2010

Road Trippin - PK Vacay Day 1

On Saturday we were scheduled to leave at 5:00 am for our drive to Perdido Key.  Maison apparently sensed that she was about to be in the car for 12+ hrs and thus threw a class A fit from midnight to 3:15 am.  AWE-SOME....after packing up most of Maison's belongings, I didn't get to bed until just before midnight and had to get up at 4:00 am...so due to Maison's scream fest I did not go to sleep at all.  After packing up the car, closing up the house, and losing/finding Einstein our 5:00 am departure turned into 6:00 am.  Great start to a LONG road trip.

We had decided we would maintain Maison's eating schedule to try to keep things as normal as possible.  When she was sound asleep when it was time for her 7:00am feeding, we decided to just keep going.   The schedule went quickly out the window but Maison did great.  She would occasionally get a little fussy but nothing a Baby Einstein DVD wouldn't fix.  

When we got to Gulf Port, Mississippi, Adam wanted to have dinner at the Shed.  The Shed is a BBQ restaurant that has been featured on BBQ Paradise, The Best Thing I ever Ate, and Man vs Food...pretty much every show possible on Food Network and Adam lives to eat at restaurants that are featured on Food Network.  The Shed is exactly what it's sign said it was "The Shed, Barbeque & Blue's Joint...A Family Food Drinkery" as in they served food which was BBQ, they had a live band playing blues, there were lots of people consuming drinks, there were numerous people with babies and/or small children, and the place was literally a run down shed connected to a trailer.  What the sign didn't say was, "This is NO PLACE to take a baby; we are a good ole fashioned honky tonk that serves good BBQ."  I really felt like I was living the line out of Sweet Home Alabama, "You have a baby...in a bar."  Apparently, honky tonkin babies is acceptable in Mississippi but it was a little much for Maison.  She cried until we took her outside to eat at a picnic table in the sprinkling rain.  Here are Maison and Adam leaving The Shed....

About 15 hrs after our departure we arrived in Perdido Key, FL.  Anyone that has known me for more than 5 minutes knows that I don't do road trips.  Driving 3 hrs to Austin is about my threshold and that's only because there is a UT game waiting at the end of it.  It is amazing to me that after having literally no sleep and spending my entire day sitting in the back seat (yes, I know...I don't do back seats because it makes me car sick) trying to entertain Maison that we all made it in one piece.  At this point I definitely think Maison is a better road tripper than I am.

1 comment:

  1. I love Adam. I live to eat at Food Network featured restaurants too.

    ReplyDelete