Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I Heart Water Violators

I realized this morning while running 8 miles that I could never be a runner in Dallas if it weren't for the sprinklers.  Since we have been in a severe drought and under water restrictions for over a year there is nothing more pleasing than running through the nice cool water when you are sweating to death.  Our neighborhood is on alternating watering days so depending on your side of the street you either water Mon/Thurs or Tues/Sat, which means there is no watering on Wed, Fri, or Sun. 

Anyone watering on a non-watering acceptable day is considered a water violator and is subject to fines by the COP.  I personally LOVE the water violators and it has nothing to do with their defiance in order to achieve lovely green grass.  There are studies that show that water restrictions actually lead to more water usage than times without restrictions  Apparently everyone wants their water ration like Sally from A Charlie Brown Christmas, "All I want is what is coming to me.  All I want is my fair share."  Even if that means gaining their share on a non-sharing day.

So on Wed, Fri, and Sun you can find water violating sprinklers to run through but you have to be very good.  It's an art, I must admit, to be able to hear a sprinkler running from a block away.  It's a very special art considering I can't hear Adam in the room next to me but I can hear a sprinkler a block away over the pitter patter of my feet and with Britney blasting in my ears.  An art indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment