Sunday, July 15, 2012

Handling the Heat

For the third straight year, I competed in the Too Hot to Handle 15k this morning.  Every year after immediately crossing the finish line I swear I'm not going to do this race again.  Let's be honest, despite it being part of the Run Project race series, I probably would have signed up anyway as some how the miserableness fads away when it's time to register for the next year.  It's like childbirth, you don't recall the pain until you have to do it again.

Running 9.9 miles in the oppressive heat is just that, MIS-ER-ABLE, but if you waited for optimum running temp around here you would be waiting forever.  Apparently I enjoy an extremely red face and sweating profusely as I have absolutely nothing to report other than that I finished.  Finished at 1:31....bettering my goal of 10:00 pace with a 9:50 pace and finishing an entire 5 minutes faster than I did last year.  After a celebratory patio (patio, why not?  If I can run in this temp I certainly can sit in it!) lunch where I washed down my lunch with 3 glasses of Chard, I'd say I'm handling the heat just fine!

Editor's Note:  There are no pictures of this event because apparently handling a camera, watching a toddler, and trying to see when someone is crossing the finish line is too much multitasking for some people.  No we will not be naming names but I do appreciate Adam, Maison, and my mother coming to watch me finish.  Some of these people may or may not have had cameras with them...just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment