Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Redneck Riviera ~ GS Vacay Day 4

My family has vacationed on the Gulf Coast since before I could walk and I have heard it referred to the Redneck Riviera all my life. In the 35+ years I've been coming to this area I could count on only one hand the number of truly redneck occurrences that had happened. But then we started coming to the Alabama part of the Gulf Coast and I have to admit there is validity to people calling the Gulf Coast the Redneck Riviera.

Reasons from 2009 vacay to Gulf Shores, Alabama:
1. Lady on the beach with a son named Jack Daniels. Adam asked her if his first name was Jack and middle or last name was Daniels. No, first name Jack Daniels and she confirmed it was in honor of the whiskey. This mother of the year was wearing a Jack Daniels "wife beater" tank top as she said this.

2. Lady who asked her 8-9 year old son to go to the car and "fix her a drink". That would be an alcoholic drink. She mentioned that they had "been at the beach all day long"...it was noon and apparently she was thirsty. She did provide mixing instructions. I found it alarming that she wouldn't let her son go to the pool by himself (as he did ask to do this) but she felt if was ok for him to go into a parking lot, unlock a car trunk, mix a cocktail, and walk back to the beach by himself. I'm pretty sure potential pool drowning would have been a better example of parenting.

Reasons from 2011 vacay to Gulf Shores, Alabama:
1. Family next to us on the beach admitting that they have stolen all the beach gear they needed...and I quote, "If you stay down here long enough you can get anything you need. I already got 2 rafts and some chairs." Um, ok. If ANYTHING of ours comes up missing I already told Adam, I'm out and out accusing these thieves!!!

2. Same family drinking Budweiser with lime and smoking cigs at 10am. Oh, I failed to mention they have not 1 but 2 babies under the age of 2 yet they choose to blow their smoke at my toddler. Feel free to do society a favor and kill off your own offspring but don't be trying to give mine lung cancer.

3. Same family (what is up with these people? Are they filming the sequel to Deliverance and we were not notified?) bathing...I'm not kidding!!! BATHING....one of the babies in the sand removal shower. I was walking Maison back so she didn't get anymore smoke in her face and this woman was bathing her naked child in the sand removal shower. She said "I just can't get the sand out of her diaper" as she pointed to her private parts. Uh, she's not wearing a diaper so that might be your first issue. I informed her that was why I put my daughter in two swim diapers...one disposable, one cloth. The cloth one catches the sand so the disposable one doesn't. She thought that was a great idea. I'm sure this woman had never seen a cloth or disposable swim diaper in her life.

This is only day 4 so I'm sure there will be other examples of Redneck Riviera to post. Let's just hope one is not about Adam and me taking down the "Kentucky 7" next to us on the beach for stealing Maison's "cha-chas" (read arm floaties) or frog chair. Did I mention they were Georgia fans???

No comments:

Post a Comment