Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sober Sick House

Saturday I went swimming at LA Fitness and shortly thereafter developed a sore throat. I almost always have a sore throat after swimming, most likely because of the large amounts of chlorine that are in public pools, so I didn't think much of it. Sunday morning I went and played soccer, despite not feeling quite right. By the time I got home I really didn't feel good at all and discovered that I had a 101 degree fever. On Monday, it had turned into a full blown cold and I was miserable enough to take myself to the doctor only to find out that due to my breastfeeding and my drug allergies (no penicillin!) there wasn't a whole lot they could do for me other than give me a z-pack and send me on my way. Today is THURSDAY, I have missed 3 days of work, have not been able to tend to Maison since Monday, and I STILL have a fever, and still feel like stir fried ass despite 4 days of a 5 day z-pack....AWE-SOME!

To make matters worse, Maison started running a fever on Tuesday. We thought it could be due to her teething but since she had been exposed to my illness we thought we should play it safe and take her in to see the Dr. Not only does lil M have my illness, she also has a bad ear infection. All of this on top of teething...poor little noodle bug!!!

TOTAL ASIDE STORY:
When we were at the ped's office, this lady that checked in before me was told she had a $73 balance. This is the conversation that followed:
Receptionist: You have a $73 balance on your account that needs to be taken care of before you see the doctor.
The lady: Do I have to?
Receptionist: If you can only make partial payment that is ok.
The lady: Why, is there a balance? ...We were never billed...It's new insurance.
Receptionist: This is the balance remaining after the NEW insurance was filed
The lady: I'm trying to think...

Yes, trying to think...trying to think of another excuse to not pay up! I see why doctors are such sticklers on payment at time of service...

So...back to the story:
I really couldn't decide who had it worse...Adam or me? Adam had to take care of Maison completely by himself since I was not supposed to be around her until my fever broke. So not only am I sick, I cannot take care of my sweet little Maison during her first illness and it's KILLING ME!!!

I have decided I have it worse than Adam because I have been 'sober' through this entire ordeal. Yes, I quit coke on Tues April 5. Like a meth addict that is given painkillers to help with withdrawal, I have started drinking iced tea to help ease my way off caffeine. It pains me every time I drive to Sonic and have to order tea instead of coke and I haven't been to a Race Trac in 10 days, yes, TEN DAYS!!! Nope, can't even bring myself to get gas there because I won't be able to stay away from the crushed ice, fizzy, yummy goodness, of a 44 oz diet coke. Oh, my mouth is watering right now just thinking about it....

On second thought, maybe Adam does have it worse than me...he's dealing with a sick child and a sick wife who's going through withdrawal. Yes, Adam DEFINITELY has it worse....time to call Dr. Drew. I need to check into the Sober Sick House!

No comments:

Post a Comment