Friday, June 1, 2012

Remembering the Alamo ~ SA Vacay Day 1

I remember my parents taking me to see the Alamo several times when I was a child.  I remember passing through the front door and being shocked that that was pretty much it.  A standing facade with cannons laying around.  Other than the barracks there really wasn't much to see.  Shari, Bubba, and I would run around and climb on the cannons and try to pick up cannon balls, whether it was allowed or not.  I have fond memories of trips to San Antonio, so when I found out that Sea World has a Sesame Street Brunch I was convinced that we had to take Maison.

We took the day off so that we could drive down and see the Alamo before heading to dinner.  Imagine my surprise when we walked in the front door of the Alamo that it wasn't just a shell of a building....it has now been 'renovated' so it is enclosed and has air conditioning....yes air conditioning!  And the barracks I fondly remember running through are now a museum.  Museum about a war with 2 two year olds (Jon, Lisa, and their son Jayden were with us) = BOR-ING!  Bored two year olds = WHIN-ING!  Needless to say we didn't last long...

Maison and Jayden in front of the Alamo:

Since the Alamo didn't last long we went shopping at El Mercado (the Market).  The kids convinced us that they HAD to have maracas which I'm sure will be the gift that keeps on giving...

Maison and Jayden hanging at El Mercado:

Unfortunately these are the ONLY pictures I have of the Alamo, El Mercado, and our yummy dinner at La Margarita (one of the best Mexican restaurants in SA!) because when I started to take Maison's picture at the Alamo I realized the camera wouldn't turn on.  Turns out it requires a battery to work and said battery was plugged into the charger in Plano.  I only feel like documenting so much with an iPhone....but at least I got one shot of Maison's first trip to the Alamo!

No comments:

Post a Comment