Sunday, June 10, 2012

Laying Bricks

I just got back from my first Brick (15 mi biking + 3 mi running) workout for my tri that is coming up exactly 2 weeks from today.  After 9 1/2 hours of training this week all I have to say is wow.  I'm not going to lie.  Doing a brick workout sucks.  The first mile of the run you feel a little ill.  Not like heat exhaustion ill but like in physical pain ill.  There is no other way to describe it other than you feel like you have a wagon or a trailer connected to your butt that you can't lose no matter how fast or hard you run.  It...is...just...still...there.  Yuck city!

My tri training ranges from 8 hrs a week to 10 hrs a week because I have been training for the tri and my 15k that is on July 15 at the same time.  So one of the 'runs' in the tri training is a 7, 8, or 9 mile run so that I'm ready for the 15k in mid-July.  Training for a tri and a distance run at the same time, in the summer, in Dallas I've learned a few things:

1.  Your face is an alarming shade of red...like call the ambulance you are choking or having a heart attack red
2.  You get amazing tan lines.  'Amazing' being sarcastic, of course, considering my legs are white from about mid-thigh up.  My stomach is white and I have the outline of a sports bra permanently imprinted into my chest and back.  The rest of me is "Ellington Tan" the golden color I can thank my dad and his Cherokee Indian heritage for.  Strapless dresses will not be happening anytime soon.
3.  Every inch of me hurts.  My plantar fasciitis ridden feet are killing me.  If that was it I could take it as they always hurt....but my lower back has decided it doesn't like swimming, either that or I'm way to old for this crap.
4.  Sleep is now 5 hours a night, 6 hours if I'm not awoken by Maison.  Getting up at 5:30am to be hitting the pavement by 6:00am in order to beat the heat does not allow for much sleep for a working, toddler rearing, triathlete wanna be, mom....

But I view this tri as an once in a lifetime opportunity for me....this party girl isn't getting any younger!  If you want to come see what will possibly be the fastest sprint tri in Dallas history, come to the Denton Natatorium on June 24 at 7am.  Look for me, I'll be the one in the head to toe black Zoot (yes, I compete in a zoot suit...insert snickers now).  The elite triathletes should finish well under an hour so should be a great race to watch!


No comments:

Post a Comment