Thursday, April 19, 2012

AA Sucks ~ Savannah Vacay Day 1

I know you would be shocked if I told you that the Maslows were late leaving for the airport this afternoon.  Yes, I know even though my mother says, "I'd be late for my own funeral." I'm typically not late for flights.  We got to the airport with an hour before departure and we weren't checking bags so I thought we had plenty of time even though we left later than I had planned.

When we got to the airport the parking for our section of gates was full.  Full?  on a non-holiday Thursday afternoon?  Ok, weird.  I've seen the FULL signs only once in all my years of frequent travel and NEVER have I seen them on a non-holiday mid-week day.  Ok, not a great start.

Adam drove down to another section and we easily found parking but had the fun task of caring 3 bags, a toddler caring a backpack, a laptop bag full of enough electronic devices to start a bomb, a purse, a stroller....and about a 40lb convertible car seat.  Yes, that is exactly what you want to carry a far distance due to no convenient parking.

Once we got in there was no line to check in so I walked up to the kiosk and quickly printed Adam and my boarding passes.  Ummm, where is Maison's boarding pass?  Adam and I were on a separate record because we were using transferred tickets and Maison was a new purchase and apparently AA couldn't figure out how to find Maison's ticket.  Seriously?  Why does crap like this happen when you are running late and are carrying a million things?  After a good 10 min they finally found Maison's ticket.

By the time we got into the security line our flight was leaving in 40 min.  We stood in line for 10 minutes and did not move a single person.  Finally a TSA person told us there was no line at gate C10...we were at C20 but considering our flight was boarding we decided it was worth the trek to make our flight.  Running 10 gates pushing a toddler in a stroller with one hand while rolling a suitcase with a laptop bag on top of it with the other should be an Olympic sport.  I'm not joking, I literally passed people with a mere carry-on.  

We got to the gate in time for final boarding call and were informed that we could NOT bring on our bags and we would have to check them.  Are you F-ING kidding me?  We just ran half way across this airport carrying this crap to save time from claiming bags in Atlanta and now we will have to anyway?  The AA rep was very rude and said, "You need to check your bags now or you can carry them on the plane and turn around and carry them back when you realize there is no space."  I wanted to say, "That's great customer service.  Maybe you'll be laid off before your shift ends."  I wouldn't have been nearly as annoyed had there really been no space which after boarding I realized there was ample, or had the next 4 people who got on after us ALL had roller board suitcases all of which were allowed to carry them on.  Can you say, A-HOLE?

As if this wasn't one for the record books already, Adam installed Maison's car seat in the center seat so we could both keep her entertained.  After a good 5 minutes, he finally got it in correctly only to be told by the flight attendant that FAA states the car seat must be next to the window.  So I said, "Well I guess you have time to wait while we reinstall it.  Another "on time" departure for AA."

By the time we got to the Avis counter in Atlanta I was ready to check in a hotel and start the drive to Savannah in the morning.  Adam was taking FOR-EV-ER to get the car.  We already had a reservation so what could possibly take so long?  Apparently he got the ONLY Avis rep that tries to up sale the reservation.  He was at the counter for 10 minutes listening to all the 'great' deals we could be getting.  He finally took a SUV just to shut the guy up.  

All was going splendid until we got pulled over by the Macon, GA police when we were not speeding.   Apparently cops don't like it when you don't have taillights which our fabulous upgraded Avis rental did not.  Adam and the policeman (who actually was VERY nice) tried a million setting combinations and finally got them to come on.  

We are here now and this day is literally almost over.  I couldn't be happier that tomorrow is a new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment