Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tri-ing my best

I just received this letter in the mail:


Apparently if you did only ONE triathlon in 2011 yet finished in the top ten of your age group you qualify to compete against the "Best of the Best" in Dallas Triathlon. Had I received such a letter in 2010 when I finished in the top ten 3 times and had 1 podium finish (hey! 3rd place is still podium) I would have thought I stood a chance. But my first thought when I received this letter (well first thought after what the? how on earth? is this addressed to the right person...) was no way...I'll get my butt kicked. I have not been in a pool swimming laps since April 2011 and I've been on my bike exactly once since last year.

Then my voice of reason (hhheemmm) kicked in. I wouldn't have been invited if I couldn't hang. I can't just decline such an interesting invitation to do an extremely competitive athletic event in 100 degree heat. I do still have 4 months to train. All I have to do is finish. No one expects you to rank in the top ten when all the competitors are previous top ten finishers...right? Rrriiiiigghhtt (yes, sarcasm intended). Someone forward me this blog post on June 24 when I'm complaining about this triathlon to remind me WHY I got myself into this.

So I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next few months...swim, bike, run...swim, bike, run...swim, bike, run...

No comments:

Post a Comment