Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Jumping into Valentine's Day

Since Maison started school we have been experiencing a lot of firsts...

Yesterday we made Valentine's for Maison's class. My mom was here when we opened the boxes of Disney Princess cards to get started. When she saw that assembly was required she quickly bolted out the door. We let Maison choose the cards she wanted and I didn't think to read the small print. Punching out, folding, stuffing, and stickering is just too many intricate steps for a 2 year old so I decided to let Mais "sign" them while I assembled them. Most of the cards were completely covered with red crayon by the time they came back to me to write Maison on them and put them in their nicely assembled envelopes. School Valentine Lesson 1: Buy cards with 2 steps: signing and stuffing.

This morning was Maison's Valentine party at school. I had a really packed morning so I pulled into the parking lot when the party was starting. Of course, there was no where to park. Why do my conference calls always run long when I have somewhere to be? I rush into Maison's class so I don't miss any of the cute moments and NO ONE IS THERE! I am the ONLY parent that showed up = embarrassing...but I didn't care. I pulled out my camera and started capturing the memories I would cherish later.

About 15 minutes into the 30 minute party, Logan's mom who is an opthamologist came in long enough to monitor what her son was eating and then left. I can't exactly judge, since I brought Maison an arsenal of sugar free treats and watched closely to make sure she didn't swipe a fully loaded treat off someone else's plate.

Enjoying a sugar-free pink heart cookie:

Impromptu dance party on way to story time rug:

Dance party lead by Tes:
Aside: I have NO idea what this child's name is other than "Tes" which is what Ms. Heather calls him. Maison calls him something that sounds like "Teflon" but I'm pretty sure no one would name their child that.

After snack-time Ms. Heather read 2 Valentine's stories and then selected each child individually to go sit down for craft time. The child is selected based on how well they are behaving and as the child is selected the class sings "Maison, Maison, jump up down, jump up dooownn, jump up and dooowwwn." The child gets to jump and dance their way to the seat of their choice. Is there anything more amazing than each child having a scheduled amount of time to be the star? This was literally worth the embarrassment of being the only parent there. As soon as all the children had a seat the 30 minutes quoted party time was up, so I decided to politely leave. School Valentine Lesson 2: Confirm parents are attending the party not just allowed to attend.

Enjoying story time:

Sitting nicely so I'm selected next:

My turn! Maison, Maison jump up and down...

If you have a prop why not use it?

Unfortunately, they did not do the Valentine's cards while I was there so I had to wait until we got home to sit with Maison and go through her box. Apparently, buying cards that come with a gift (Maison's came with princess magnets) is not acceptable. Maison's box looked like trick or treating time. Considering she still can't digest sugar, I had to collect all the candy and treats off the cards before giving them to her. I literally have an entire bag of sweetarts, smarties, gummy hearts, rice krispie treats etc. This doesn't include all the stuff she was allowed to keep, Sponge Bob stickers, Abby Caddaby bubbles, temporary tattoos, etc. School Valentine Lesson 3: Even if your child can't have sugar, you are still expected to put together elaborate gift bags with toys and candy.

First School Valentine's Party was so much fun and we learned so much for next year!
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, I could have told you you don't show up with just the Valentine. I learned that my first time around! You HAVE to have a treat too!

    ReplyDelete