Sunday, October 17, 2010

4th tri is the charm

I left the house at 5:40am this morning to head to Denton to compete in the Monster Tri. I was fired up and ready to go when Adam loaded up my bike and I pulled away from our house. I started cursing myself when I hit US 380 on the Tollway in the pitch black dark, wondering who the hell lived up here, and why on earth they did not have any street lights. I had no idea the tollway went so far north (now I see why they keep collecting tolls!) and I certainly didn't like experiencing it prior to 6am in the morning. Then I exited the tollway onto US 380...let's just say it was like a scene out of a horror movie. No one is anywhere in sight and then some stupid blonde girl comes bee-boppin along in a big red F150 slowing down to read street signs. Just when I was ready for Freddy Kruger to jump out with a chain saw or some crap I saw a huge line of cars...score...must be my turn off, why else would 100 people be in line at 6:15 in the morning...in Denton?

I got my transition set up, got my timing chip, and went to check out the pool so maybe I wouldn't miss the exit this time. It was nice and warm in the natatorium so I decided to hang out and kill time on my iphone. Around 7:00 I decided to go take off my sweats and put my phone away and go line up for the swim. When I got back to transition someone next to me had put their gear literally right in front of mine. I would have to reach over their stuff to get to mine. I took note of the number (161) and would make sure that I lined up in front of this person for the swim just to ensure I would beat them back to transition.

I lined up for the swim...2 people in front of Miss 161. I made up my mind once I jumped in there was no way I was letting her pass me. The swim totally sucked, 10 laps in a 25 yd pool makes for a lot of jammed corners and no opportunity to get in any sort of rhythm. There must have been a lot of people who lied about their swim time because I literally passed like 15 people and it certainly was not one of my better swims. I did; however, make sure that Miss 161 stayed behind me...sucks to be her when she finished the swim to find me sprawled out in front of her stuff putting on my bike cleats. I normally don't sit down but I certainly think today it was warranted.

The bike was a nice ~16 mile round trip. No double loops...just out and back on a very hilly highway. A guy from my tri group had done this one last year and he warned me not to expend too much energy on the way out because the way back was a gradual climb the entire time with a few steep hills. I followed his advice and felt great on the return. I even noted that I didn't get past by one woman though several guys flew right past me! As I was heading into transition, I heard Adam cheering for me and saw Maison which was just the boost I needed. When I left, he wasn't sure if they were going to make it so I was thrilled to see them.

The run was so uneventful...3 loops around a stadium. They did this to make it more spectator friendly. Since this was a Monster tri participants were supposed to wear costumes. Even though costumes were encouraged, I could not think of anything I could be that I could swim, bike, and/or run in. The first loop was fine, second loop started sucking, third loop I just wanted to be finished so I tried to pick up the pace. I crossed the finish at 1:32 - 2 minutes over my goal.

We went to some vendor booths to kill time while I waited to get my bike out of transition. At 10:00, I headed to the car so I could feed Maison before the long drive home. Either we were busy juggling Maison, the stroller, my bike, my bag, etc and didn't hear it or we were too far away...but my name was called...

Uh, I got 3rd place in my age group. I guess I did a little better than I thought. I had a 'podium' finish and was so negative about my performance I didn't even check out the posted times or stay to hear the awards ceremony. Total suck! My first tri trophy and I didn't even get it. Well there is always next season...St Patty's Day tri in Keller anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment