Sunday, March 21, 2010

I pulled a J.Lo

Jennifer Lopez made headlines when she completed her first triathlon 6 months after giving birth to twins.  Last weekend, I completed my first triathlon 4 months and 3 weeks (but who's counting ;o) after giving birth to Maison.  Due to my c-section I couldn't start training until 8 weeks before the race which was 300m swim, 12.1 miles bike, and 5k run.  My goal was to finish in 1 hr 30 min which I beat by 3 min finishing at 1 hr 27 min.  I ended up placing 8th in my age group...YEA for slow people in the 36-40 year old group!!!

Lindsey, Adam's brother Jason's fiance...aka my soon to be SIL, came from Raleigh, NC to do the tri with me.   So here we are "trying the tri"...the Keller St. Patrick's Day triathlon:

Getting ready to go line up...

Bagpiper starting things off:

Swimming (1st pic - me, 2nd pic - Lindsey):

       

Biking (1st pic - me, 2nd pic - Lindsey):
     

Starting the run:
     

The finish line:

This was a great first tri and definitely a learning experience.  So lessons learned:  I should have done at least one swim in a 50m pool rather than the 25 yard pool I trained in.  I should have done more "brick" (bike followed by run) workouts because the transition from the bike to the run was killer...so hard to run on legs that feel like jello!  And, number one lesson learned:  pick a triathlon that is closer to home because waking up at 4:30am to do an athletic event completely sucks AND choose one that is during warmer weather because riding a bike soaking wet in 45 degrees is NOT FUN!

1 comment:

  1. What are you doing competing in the old person age group? Last time I checked we were 25!
    So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete