Thursday, April 9, 2009

I'm David Letterman and I'm wearing no pants

Actually, I'm Marcia Maslow and I'm wearing no shorts....

I left this morning through the back door to go on a walk so that I could leave the door unlocked and not have to carry keys with me. Our back door goes out to our patio and you have to leave our yard through the gate.

While I was out walking, it started to come a storm and the wind started picking up. I really didn't think much of it until I got home and could not open our back gate. Our gate has a tricky latch and if the wind blows really hard it will open the gate and slam itself shut only to be unopenable from either side. I tried to push down on the lever - nothing happened. I tried to pull up on the lever and give it a bit of a jiggle...again nothing. I started getting really anxious since I had no key to the front door, no cell phone, and a meeting that I had to be in the office for a 10:00...so I contemplated my options:

1. I could climb the fence and either aim for the concrete pool deck and hope to land on my feet or aim for the 6 ft high oelander bushes and hope for the best.
2. I could go to our neighbor's behind us and ask for some sort of tool to pry the gate open or assistance in opening the gate but since it was about 8:45 I thought they wouldn't be home
3. I could go to the neighbor's down the street to use the phone but I remembered that the woman who is home during the day is virtually disabled and can't really walk to answer the door and anyone I would call was at least 30 min away making my meeting impossible to make.

So I started thinking, the issue wasn't that I couldn't get enough pressure to depress the lever, it was that I couldn't maintain the pressure long enough because the lever was cutting into my hand when I put all my weight on it ....so a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.....

I decided to take off my shorts and wrap them around the handle to try to open the gate all the while praying that god would grant me one favor and please, please, please open the gate. Oh, and maybe a second favor...that no one would see me standing in the driveway in my drawers!

My trick worked!  I got the stupid gate open and got into the house with 45 min to shower, eat breakfast, and drive into work.  I ran around like my head was cut off to get ready so quickly and was about to shut down my computer when I noticed my manager had sent a cancellation for the meeting.  Urrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! But at least you have a hot bod. If I was you I'd "accidently/on purpose" go out everyday without an article of clothing. "Whoops! Am I shirtless again? Oh well, did you check out my 6-pack? Whoops! Forgot my pants again...but did you see how great my legs look?" ;-)

    ReplyDelete