Sunday, August 22, 2010

Braves, Cubs, and Friends...oh, my!

This weekend Adam and I went to Chicago to see friends and go to the Braves/Cubs games. We arrived late Thurs night but in plenty of time to have a midnight dinner in Greek town with Vinnie.

Friday we had Cubs tickets in the bleachers with several of Adam's friends. We took the subway to the game from our hotel on Michigan Ave. It was SO UNBELIEVABLY crowded. The second the doors closed after we got on the train I started having a panic attack. We were in a super crowded train, UNDERGROUND, with no sunlight in site. I wanted to die, miss the cubs/braves game die, start going bat-ass crazy want to die. The nice man by the door let me trade spots with him so that when we eventually reached an above ground part I was able to see out. I was feeling much better but still rather uneasy. We did make it to the game in one piece, staked our claim in the bleachers, all in time to watch the Braves take batting practice. I still wasn't feeling too hot after we sat down so I decided to go to the bathroom to put some water on my face. When I got up to leave a Brave hit a ball out of the park and it broke the window of the brownstone behind Wrigley. I literally sounded like some one had been shot...in the 100s of baseball games I've been to in my life that was a first for me...but apparently happens at Wrigley all the time. The game was great; the Braves won and the weather was a fab mid-80s...a cold front from the ~105 degrees in Dallas. After the game we went to the Gingerman for drinks, dinner at Tango Sur, and then post-dinner drinks a Blue Bayou. It was such a fun day!

View of the bleachers:

Saturday we had lunch with Monica at the Purple Pig on Michigan Ave and then took a cab to the game...no subway to Wrigley after yesterday! Adam's father's day present was the trip to Chicago and dugout tickets to Saturday's game. When Wrigley was remodeled they lowered the seats and added rows A, B, C at field level. We had seats on row B...these seats were so amazing that had there not been a net there to protect you from miss batted balls you could literally reach out and touch the players. The Braves didn't win this one but with seats this close that happened to be in the shade...who could complain? After the game, we had a drink at Gingerman (it's a tradition when you are with the Durbins!), dessert at Sensational Bites, dinner at Due, Uno's sister restaurant, and then drinks on the roof top of Rock Bottom Brewery. Another wonderful day with so many wonderful friends.

Brave, Derek Lee, who was a Cub 3 days ago:

Lou returning to the dugout after a chat with an ump:

Sunday we had an early flight back to Dallas since we were anxious to get back to Maison. See you next time, Chicago, we missed you!

No comments:

Post a Comment