Friday, January 2, 2009

What happened to the 12 days of Christmas?

I'm a firm believer in the 12 days of Christmas which starts on Christmas day and ends on Jan. 6 so I insist on leaving up our Christmas decorations and burning our exterior Christmas lights until this day. It takes weeks to lug all the decorations from the attic, go through them and finally putting them out that it makes no sense to me to undecorate on Dec. 26 or even on Jan. 1. I love the holidays and don't want them to end so why on earth would I undecorate so quickly? Not to mention, that it will take me weeks to get down the boxes from the attic, take down all the decorations, sort them and carefully pack them away for next year.

For some reason this year it is just not in the cards...
1. We have lost several dozen glass ornaments this past week that have tumbled off our quick drying live tree only to meet death on the terra cotta tile floor.
2. "Someone" keeps knocking over the buck reindeer in our front yard but politely leaves the stakes in a pile right next to him. The poor thing repeatedly turns his mechanical head into the ground looking like he has been shot and is moaning in pain.
3. We finally blew a strand of lights on the big tree outside so now it goes white, dark, white, then green. I must admit every time I see the dark spot it gets on my OCD nerves but I must stick with my principals and keep my Christmas show going until Jan. 6.
4. Adam got the boxes down from the attic last night and I politely stacked them in the corner until I'm good and ready to give in and start dismantling our Christmas creations.

Unfortunately, this morning we were awoken by a small crash that turned out to be 3 glass balls committing suicide at the same time so I may be willing to compromise. I may agree to take down the main tree and safely put the Santas in their bubble wrap so Adam won't have a heart attack if his beloved motorcycle Santa crashes on the floor...but the outside lights, including almost dead buck and burnt out strand of lights, and the Hello Kitty tree, and small tree are staying up until Jan. 6 at which point I'll happily pack them all away and wish you all a Merry 12th Day of Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. If you'd put your decorations up the day after Halloween then you would happily undecorate on the 26th! But I'm with you, leave them up as long as you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason is with you. Our neighbors all seem to be chomping at the bit to tear them down early and we are the only ones on the street with them still on! On another note, I like how your house remodeling ticker goes up to 10 years. You really must LOVE remodeling and contractors to commit that long! JK ;o)

    ReplyDelete